Trials and Tribulations of Becoming a Barista

Many would think that being a barista is a pretty cool and effortless job, but it actually isn't as easy as though we may make it look simple. True passion for coffee is contagious, you inspire everyone you come into contact with when you express it.

My parents were shocked that I decided to work part time as a barista instead of getting sufficient rest at home since I have a kinda tiring job in the healthcare line. Remembering myself walking to Starbucks from my work place in the evening and taking the monorail home at 11.30pm on every weekday, if you ask have I regretted choosing to become a barista, the answer is nope, I felt happy of what I did, it has broadened my perspectives on a lot of things, because you would literally meet all kinds of people out there. 
 
There were numerous times where I get burnt by hot water, definitely one of the things that a barista would go through while brewing coffee or getting teas ready. It could be anything from steaming the milk to steeping teabags into boiling water. I always notice some of the customers watching my every single move when I was trying to prepare a drink, which is making me feel uneasy. Awkward haha. I find the establishment where I work is not only a coffee shop, but more like a full-service restaurant, which comes with an extra set of challenges such as, a pile of dishes that never disappears; a whole-load of wasted food and drinks, that makes you cry about the environment every night. 

Anyways, apart from that, I feel grateful for having such experienced mentors alongside me to teach both the science and art of espresso-making, everything from machine maintenance, bean knowledge and water temperature to the creation of latte art. Although being in the coffee industry has made me see the grumpy side of the human race, I have also seen much on the good side. I feel lucky to get so many smiles and 'thank yous'. Also for all the little compliments which brightened my day. Despite all of the above, my fellow coworkers made most draining of days feel tolerable, they uplift me and also pushed me to be my best. Thank you for making this coffee lover feel so wonderfully at home. 

PS: The days are fast-paced, but there's great satisfaction in pouring the best espressos for your regulars :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something about myself